Looking for Part Time Work?
Get the Vacancy Bulletin!
Are you finding it hard to locate a job no matter how hard you try?!
Some of you may have previously visited the Careers & Add+vantage office in the Hub building to get your hands on the weekly part time vacancies sheet. For those of you who have no idea what the vacancy bulletin consists of – essentially, we have a look at the websites of a selection of the most active part time employers within Coventry and produce a weekly roundup document of all the current vacancies. (Please note that there may be vacancies/organisations not covered by this bulletin – we recommend that you combine this document with your own research)
As you have probably realised, this is something that you can easily do for yourself – however, to this day it still remains one of the most popular resources that we produce.
Part time work at Coventry University
Throughout the year, both Coventry University, Coventry University College and Coventry University Students Union actively recruit for a considerable number of student positions (such as Student Ambassadors, Reception staff and bar staff).
From personal experience, I would have to say that these positions are excellent for both undergraduate and postgraduate students. The nature of these roles provides an element of flexibility that most external vacancies won’t be able to match (as well as the fact they are based around campus!)
If you are interested in becoming a part time student employee, log on to the student portal page. Then all you need to do is to select ‘CU Student Vacancies’ and you will be able to view all the latest opportunities.
All student union vacancies will be advertised on the student union website – http://www.cusu.org.
Where to look for part time work in Coventry
Within Coventry, there are a number of shopping areas that boast a wide range of possible job opportunities:
• City Centre – variety of shops, pubs, bars and restaurants and leisure
• Central Six retail park – variety of shops and fast food outlets
• Arena Shopping Park (next to the Ricoh Arena) – Variety of shops and fast food outlets
• Cannon Park Shopping Centre – variety of shops
• Gallagher Retail Park – variety of shops and fast food outlets
• Walsgrave Triangle – variety of shops, fast food outlets and leisure
The majority of retail parks/shopping centres have an online presence, quite often through an official website, such as:
A quick search on Google will highlight such websites, which in turn will provide you with an up to date list of the companies based in each location.
It is also worth visiting TheFutureWorks – Coventry University’s recruitment agency based on the ground floor of The Hub Building.
Tips for part time job hunting
• Not all vacancies are advertised online – certain employers (such as Poundland, Sportsdirect, Subway, etc) still request that you bring your CV directly to them. Printing off your CV and directly approaching employers remains an important method you can implement when searching for a job
• Different months bring new opportunities – become aware of seasonal recruitment patterns. E.g. if you are looking for a student job – every year the majority of positions are recruited for, before the forthcoming academic year starts.
• Ensure that the job you are applying for will not impact upon your studies. Do you have enough time to travel from work to university? Are you required to work too many hours?
• Be proactive – resources such as the Part Time vacancies bulletin are useful, but should not be relied upon as your only source of research. Following the output of local newspapers, radio and TV is often the best way of hearing about any future developments/large scale recruitment
As always, we are here to help you with CV/Applications, interview advice etc – so give us a call on 02477 652011 and book an appointment!
All that is left to say is – get out there and get that job!